Custom Search

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Why Do We Read Blogs?


Today’s post is going to differ slightly from previous posts. I have spent a great deal of time over the last few days, reading other business and hospitality blogs, making comments, and generally getting involved in the blogging stratosphere. It has been both fun and informative.

However, when making a judgment about a blog and deciding whether or not to bookmark the site, I discovered that my thoughts were heavily related to whether or not I liked the writing style AND whether I liked the person doing the writing.

As I have become more involved in conversation with business blog peers, I have formed definite opinions on whose ideas I trust, who can provide me with useful information, and which writers I think are genuinely decent people. It’s a blog that ticks all three boxes that gets bookmarked, commented on, and reviewed.

Take, for example, The Happy Hotelier

The Happy Hotelier, also known as Guido J. van den Elshout, operates something between a luxurious B&B and the suite floor of a luxurious hotel called Haagsche Suites (i.e. Suites of The Hague). Guido writes a blog that entertains, informs and guides, whilst driving traffic to his hotel site. He updates his blog regularly, is the CEO of another company, runs the aforementioned hotel, and still had time to reply (within a day) to my comment on his site:

“Hi Emma,
Thank you for coming by.
I know your site.
Wanna know how? because of your comment to the Vibeagent blog shout out to my version of the T-List
As a matter of fact you are researching an area that I’m interested in as well.
As every hotelier knows, finding the right software is always of importance to enhance your business. Go on and enlighten us please.
Greetings!”


I cannot recommend The Happy Hotelier enough, and it is for this reason that I have bookmarked his site and would like to urge others to do the same.

It is also for this reason that I’ve decided to share a little more of myself with you HERE.

I hope by finding out a little more about me you’ll be motivated to read my blog and leave your comments.

Once again, thanks for reading!

Emma

I am still on a search for the best hotel booking system for small to medium sized hotels. If you know of hotel booking software that can beat HotelSystems.co.uk for ease of use and functionality then please contact me on eharradine@hotmail.co.uk

4 comments:

Ed said...

I have a list of 38 blogs, 2 of which are not entirely I.T. related including this one. As a programmer, I am particularly interested in your opinions of hotel booking systems which I hope can remain impartial. I would be interested to know what features are important in a hotel booking system from a user perspective. Posts concerning what users like and dislike about booking systems would be of particular interest.

Emma Harradine said...

Thanks Ed,

As you have seen, I took your advice and have recently published an article with details of my customer research. I have only scratched the surface so far, but plan to make every other post relate to this in some way over the next two months. I hope you find it useful. I'll be in touch shortly with regards to your software!

Unknown said...

Great to build your own module but why not collaborate on existing module that aim to provide the same features or functionality you're looking for: http://fairfieldinnakron.com/rooms-and-packages.php

Unknown said...

I am going to develop a site for hotel with custom reservation module. It will send check-in data by e-mail. You are welcome to participate. If you interest in such module, you can write me via contact form.